In 2008 the SLNA, working with Councillor McConnell's office, had Taylor's Wharf Lane named (By-law 893-2009) - this lane runs between Frederick Street and George Street South just south of Front Street. The name commemorates Taylor's Wharf that was at about this spot. The wharf was named after Captain Archibald Taylor who, in 1856 to at least 1865, had a coal and wood business and owned the wharf. Subsequently the wharf was used by the J & J Taylor Safe Works that was at the corner of Frederick and Front Streets. (The two Taylor families were unrelated.)
Subsequently, with help and input from the community and Councillor McConnell's office, we have now had all of the other unnamed public lanes in our area named; all are now identified on city maps and with new street signs.
Here is the list of the lanes that have now been named - older, already named, Lanes noted at end of list:
1. South of Longboat Avenue (north of rail tracks). APPROVED NAME: TOM LONGBOAT LANE To commemorate Tom Longboat. Thomas Charles Longboat (Cogwagee) (1887-1949) was an Onondaga distance runner from the Six Nations of the Grand River First Nation Indian reserve near Brantford, Ontario, and for much of his career the dominant long distance runner of the time. By law 174-2013
2. Berkeley to Princess - south of Front. APPROVED NAME: NICHOLSON LANE To commemorate PJ Nicholson, one of the founders of the St Lawrence Community Recreation Centre and a former SLNA President. By-law 1166-2012.
3. Church south of King. East side just south of Sculpture Garden. APPROVED NAME: OAK HALL LANE To commemorate “Oak Hall Clothiers ” which was the building/store on the site of the Sculpture Garden. By-law 178-2013
4. Toronto to Victoria north of King. APPROVED NAME: OLD POST OFFICE LANE To commemorate the 4th post office that used to be at 10 Toronto Street. In old City maps it had this name in the late 19th century. By-law 177-2013
5. North of Adelaide just east of Yonge. APPROVED NAME: CHING LANE To commemorate the first person of Chinese origin to own a business in Toronto (a laundry) founded in 1877 at 9 Adelaide Street East. By-law 882-2012
6. Berti to Church and on the east side of Church Street, just south of Queen Street. APPROVED NAME: DITTY LANE To commemorate the Ditty Hotel at Church and Queen. By-law 882-2012
7. North of Lombard between Church and Victoria (L shaped) APPROVED NAME BARBED WIRE LANE (This lane was adjacent to the Ontario Lead and Barb Wire Company in the late 19th century) By-law 310-2015
8. Adelaide to Lombard between Church and Victoria. APPROVED NAME SPICE MILL LANE In the 19th century this lane was adjacent to the Todhunter, Mitchell Spice Mill; at one time the largest in Toronto. By-law 313-2015
9. West of Princess between King and Adelaide. APPROVED NAME: DUKE MEWS To remember Duke Street, the former name of Adelaide Street. By-law 882-2012
10. North of Britain just E of George (L shaped going to George.) APPROVED NAME BOOTLEGGER LANE. This name was selected to maintain a link to a reputed local bootlegger. By-law 311-2015
11. Lombard to Richmond just west of Jarvis. APPROVED NAME: CENTRAL FIRE STATION LANE To commemorate the old Central Fire Station that, along with Hook, Ladder and Hose Company #5, was adjacent to it. By-law 176-2013
12. Brigden Place to Richmond. APPROVED NAME: BRIGDEN PLACE This lane, which is L-shaped, is now all called Brigden Place.
13. Continuation of Stonecutters Lane SOUTH of Richmond. APPROVED NAME: STONECUTTERS LANE This lane, which is on both sides of Adelaide Street, is now all called Stonecutters Lane. By-law 882-2012
14. West of Ontario between Adelaide and Richmond. APPROVED NAME GENDRON LANE. The Gendron Manufacturing Company was immediately north of this lane (they built wheel chairs, baby carriages, hospital beds etc. By-law 312-2015
15. East of Berkeley between Queen and Richmond. To be named.
16 North of Richmond west of Parliament, APPROVED NAME: DUCHESS LANE To remember Duchess Street, the former name of Richmond Street. By-law 882-2012
17. South of Richmond west of Parliament, L-shaped.. APPROVED NAME: WORTS LANE To commemorate James Worts who died in 1834 and was a co-founder of the Gooderham and Worts Distillery. By-law 882-2012
18. South of Adelaide west of Berkeley. APPROVED NAME: POMPADOUR LANE To commemorate Pompadour,a free black man, whose wife Peggy was a slave to Peter Russell the President of the Executive Council and Chief Administrator of York in the years between Governor Simcoe and Governor Hunter from 1796 to 1799. By-law 882-2012
19. East of Leader Lane between King and Colborne. APPROVED NAME: RODEGA LANE To commemorate the old Rodega Hotel that was in this area. By-law 882-2012
20 East of Leader Lane between Colborne and Wellington. APPROVED NAME: COLBORNE LANE. This lane mainly runs behind and to the south of Colborne Street. By-law 173-2013
21. Market Street to Church Street just north of parking garage (south of The Esplanade). APPROVED NAME: CONGER COAL LANE To commemorate the Conger Coal Company whose yard and wharf was nearby. By-law 175-2013
22. Aitken Place to Douville Court. The SLNA group and the City investigated calling this lane Douville Court as it has the front doors of houses on that small street and it is really an extension of this street; the decision was to leave it unnamed. Any change will require local support.
They are identified on the attached MAP
Apart from Taylor's Wharf Lane, which, as noted above was named in 2008 thanks to the SLNA, there were, of course, already named Lanes in our historic neighbourhood; for ease of reference these are listed below:
Abbey Lane - runs between Sherbourne and Princess Streets immediately south of King Street East. It commemorates "Russel [sic] Abbey" the ancestral home of Peter Russell (1733-1808).
Court Square - surrounds Courthouse Square Park on the north side of Court Street
Farquhars Lane - runs between The Esplanade and Front Street East immediately east of Church Street. This lane, which was originally spelled Farquhar's Lane, appears to be named after John Farquhar who operated as a lime merchant at the southern end of the lane in the 1870s.
Leader Lane - runs between King Street East and Wellington Street west of Church Street. The name commemorates the Toronto Leader, a newspaper published in Toronto in the 19th century - their offices were nearby. Leader Lane is actually classified as a street.
McFarrens Lane - runs between Queen Street East and Richmond Street immediately east of Sherbourne Street.and is now named after Andrew McFarren who operated a grocery store at the Queen Street end of the lane from 1870. McFarren, who was born in Ireland in 1826, was "a Conservative and member of the Baptist Church".
This Lane was formerly called Walz Lane (or Walz's Lane) after John Walz who was an early and influential German immigrant who owned a brewery in the area and was, in the 1850s and 1860s, the first person to brew lager in Toronto.
Scott Lane - runs east off Scott Street immediately north of The Esplanade. This name commemorates Thomas Scott (1746-1824); he was Attorney-General of Upper Canada.
The SLNA ad-hoc Committee responsible for canvassing the neighbourhood and proposing the lane names to the SLNA and subsequently to the City comprised: Joyce Arnold, David Crawford (Chair), Denis Glasgow, Marcus Little and Suzanne Kavanagh (SLNA President). Bruce Bell and Tom Davidson of Councillor McConnell's office were important resource people.
Return to SLNA main page
Last updated by DSC: 22 January 2016.